Thursday, October 6, 2011

thursdays...i pinned it, i did it

diy silver polish
Pinned Image
while getting ready for my craft sale i have been on the search for diamonds in the rough. i found a few silver pieces at a consignment shop for a buck. they were in pretty bad shape but they were cheep so i thought i would give this a try. the recipe is simple and you probably have all you need already in the house. here's what you do:
To polish silver: Wash items, then place on aluminum foil in the bottom of a pot. Add a baking-soda solution (¼ cup soda, a few teaspoons salt, 1 quart boiling water) and cover for a few seconds. The result? A chemical reaction that gets the black off the gravy boat.
click here for the original link.

my pieces were large platters so they didn't fit in a pot, i used a baking dish and had to do the process a few times rotating the platter each time. two of the pieces had rust marks and the rust even started eating away at the silver. this process did nothing to take the rust off. however on my piece that was just tarnished it worked GREAT. totally worth a shot if you have silver that needs polishing.

also i LOVE this wall display
Pinned Image
so I don't mind to much that one of my pieces still has the old patina on it. i will be on the look out for a few more. maybe i can hang them on my kitchen wall.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Wow! I've got some silver pieces that I've collected at yard sales that have tarnished so badly. I'm going to have to try this!